1. Protecting the Banking Fund The Pennsylvania Banking Fund is financed by assessments on state-chartered banking institutions. The fund was intended to be a safeguard against a possible failure or collapse of a state-chartered banking institution.
In recent years this funded has been used by the governor and the legislature to fund general government operations of the commonwealth. As a result, the banking fund does not have an adequate amount to protect against the failure of any state-charted banking institution. PACB supports legislation which would provide legislative or constitutional protections to prevent the fund from being raided in the future.
(On September 15, PACB's outgoing Chairman of the Board of Directors Jon Conklin, appeared before a state House panel to support pending Banking Fund legislation. The recap of that appearance can be found in a media release here).
2.Limited Civil Liability Protections for COVID-19 As many small businesses continue to struggle and face the possibility of closing their doors for good, PACB supports providing businesses with civil liability protections. PACB believes any entity following CDC and Department of Health guidelines relating to COVID-19 should have safe harbor from civil suits related to the pandemic.
3. Relief for Small Businesses PACB continues to work with community banks across the nation for a second round of PPP Loans in Congress, the association supports similar policies here in the Commonwealth. With $1.1 billion in CARES Act funds remaining, PACB supports proposals which direct additional CARES Act money to provide relief for struggling Pennsylvania businesses.
4. Establishment of Commerce Courts Following enactment of Act 111, of 2020, the judiciary was empowered to create commerce divisions of the Court of Common Pleas at the local level. Act 111 also allowed the judiciary to form a statewide commerce court within the Commonwealth’s Superior Court.
PACB supports the establishment of commerce courts at the state and local level. These courts would provide for a predictable, efficient and fair process for all business litigation which is essential for promoting the economic growth of our communities.
PACB Federal Legislative Priorities 1. Paycheck Protection Program PACB is working hard with the state’s congressional delegation to see the PPP program renewed with the following modifications:
Loan forgiveness for loans under $150,000
Removing regulatory penalties for community banks issuing loans through the program
Flexibility to adjust loan terms without making modifications to the loan.
2. Covid-19 Liability Protections Similar to PACB advocacy at the state level the association supports passage of liability protections for businesses who follow applicable government guidance for safe operations during the pandemic.
3. Our Other Priorities You can find out more about PACB’s priorities in Congress by going to the ICBA’s website and reading about their advocacy efforts here.
(C) Pennsylvania Association of Community Bankers All Rights Reserved 3211 N. Front Street, Suite 102 Harrisburg, PA 17110 (717) 231-7447 email@example.com | sitemap